Authentic Spicy Mexican Carrots ∙ Recipe
It's Jenna! I'm SO excited to be sharing this recipe because its something I've wanted to try out for yearrrrrrrssssssssss!
If you've been to a legit Mexican food spot before, you'll know exactly what these bad boys are! If you haven't had them, you must give this recipe a whirl because you will absolutely shock yourself. They're not what you might think!
If you're not into spicy things, just leave out the jalapeño or use a bit less than the recipe calls for.
As always, just about everything we keep in the house comes from Milk & Eggs, our grocery delivery service. Canning or pickling produce is best done when you're using the freshest ingredients which is why I've got Organic rainbow carrots on deck from M&E. Since this recipe calls for some authentic Mexican ingredients, we did have to pop in to the local grocery to find a couple of the items listen below. For this recipe, you'll need...
- 2 lbs large Organic carrots (I ordered Rainbow Carrots for mine which is why the brine turned pink)
- 2 large organic jalapeños
- 1/2 medium white onion
- 5 cloves garlic diced
- 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 6 leaves bay whole (I used dried leaves found in the Hispanic Food section)
- 10 peppercorns (I used almost double because I enjoy the flavor)
- 2 tsp dried Mexican oregano (not Mediterranean oregano)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
Let me know if you give this recipe a whirl! Do you want to see more recipes like this one? Tell me in the comments below!